03 February 2008

Beelzebub gets a workout

Now that things have settled a bit, I'm sort of settled back into my Sunday groove. After getting caught up with Coronation Street, I spent the afternoon in the kitchen.

It's been ages since I last made pizza, so I rectified it. The dough was my standard, but it didn't turn out that well--took forever to rise,and it didn't rise by much. Mind you, didn't use the usual yeast--didn't find it at the new grocery of choice. Only bought a three-pack to try it out. Not impressed, but will continue to use it until it's all gone...then will return to my brand of choice. Anyway, wound up with a thin-crust--would have liked a little more softness to it. Oh well. Topped with bruschetta, red capsicum, red onions, mushrooms, kielbasa and mozz.

Let far too much milk spoil this week--very odd since I usually run out a day or two before my weekly shop. Anyway, it was only a day off--used it in a cake, instead of buttermilk. Adapted an Alton Brown chocolate cake recipe--turned out well.

The last thing didn't use Beelzebub--prepped some pie pastry. Will make an apple pie tomorrow for a sick colleague. Hope it turns out. The pastry didn't feel right--maybe the fat was too warm. Will see tomorrow.


jasmine